PINK AND BLUE: THE DEVELOPMENT OF GENDER IN EARLY CHILDHOOD
June 19th 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
As soon as a baby bump shows, parents-to-be are constantly asked the question, “Is it a boy or a girl?” Gender is determined at conception and assumptions are made about who the child is going to be. But how much of gender is nurture rather than nature? Are girls naturally sugar and spice and everything nice, is there genetically a reason why “boys will be boys”? How do outside factors like gender stereotypes, social influences, culture and biases have an influence on how children develop their understanding of gender? This workshop will examine the development of a child understanding gender in early childhood, how even unconscious gender biases can hinder a child meeting their potential and how to support gender equality in the early years.
Presenter: Katelyn Moon is a proud early childhood educator who has been working in the ECE field since 2008. She is passionate about teaching children while honouring their uniqueness, individuality and developmental needs. Katelyn is an entrepreneur with an early learning program in Chilliwack which focuses on social learning, emotional intelligence, and outdoor learning. Katelyn enjoyed being a student as well as a teacher and is dedicated to her ongoing learning in leadership, licensing and teaching.
Date: Wednesday, June 19th, 2019
Time: 6:30 pm -8:30 pm
Cost: members $10, non-members $15
Location: Archway Community Services; Jasbir Saran Room (B100)
- Training certificates will be issued via email within 5 business days. To receive a certificate, you must arrive on time, participate, and stay for the entire session.
- Late arrivals of more than 15 minutes will not be admitted to workshops.
- Children - Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate children during a workshop. Please make alternate arrangements.
- Registration - Prepayment is required for all workshops. Credit card payment can be taken over the phone. Debit, cash, or cheque payments are taken in office.
- Methods of payment - Credit (Visa or MasterCard), debit, cash, or cheque (payable to Archway Community Services).
- Workshop cancellations (regular workshops) - Registrants can cancel up until two full business days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Cancellations received before the deadline will be given a workshop credit (not a refund) to be used towards future workshops at Abbotsford CCRR. Workshop credits are valid for one year from the date of issue. Due to unforeseen circumstances, workshops may be subject to change or cancellation, in this case we would issue a refund.
- Course cancellations (First Aid and Responsible Adult) - Registrants must cancel one week (5 business days) prior to the course/class start date in order to receive a refund. The original receipt must be provided prior to refund.
- Workshop location -Workshops will be held at Archway Community Services in the Jasbir Saran room (B100), unless otherwise stated.