Cultural Safety - ONLINE
Date Nov 7, 2023 | Time 6:30pm - 8:30pm
What, exactly, is cultural safety? Why is cultural safety important in addressing the social inequities experienced by Indigenous people?
Cultural safety considers the social and historical contexts of health and health care inequities and is not focused on understanding "Indigenous Culture." Many people come to the San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety training program expecting to learn about the formal cultural ceremonies and practices of Indigenous people because they have been led to believe that this is the key to working with people who are culturally different from themselves. San’yas learners are often surprised to learn that a cultural safety approach to providing care is about paying attention to the roots of health and health care inequities, such as colonization.
Presenter: Jennie Roberts has been in the Early Education field for 35 years, worked in Aboriginal Head Starts, Parent Participation Preschools. When Jennie facilitates a workshop she takes you on a journey of new awareness, you will come out with new eyes and mindset about Indigenous people. So your work with children can be meaningful and fulfilling.
Cost: CCRR Member $15.00, Non-Member $20.00
- Training certificates will be issued via email within 5 business days of the workshop attended. To receive a certificate, you must arrive on time, participate, stay for the entire session and have video on. If you have not received your certificate after 5 business days, please call us. If you require a copy of your certificate after 30 days of the workshop you will incur a 10-dollar charge.
- Late arrivals of more than 15 minutes will not be admitted to workshops.
- Children - Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate children during a workshop. Please make alternate arrangements.
- Registration - Prepayment is required for all workshops. Credit card payment can be taken over the phone.
- Methods of payment - Visa or MasterCard or Debit
- Workshop cancellations (regular workshops) - Registrants can cancel up until two full business days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Cancellations received before the deadline will be given a workshop credit (not a refund) to be used towards future workshops at Abbotsford CCRR. Workshop credits are valid for one year from the date of the cancelled workshop. Due to unforeseen circumstances, workshops may be subject to change or cancellation, in this case we would issue a refund.
- Course cancellations (First Aid and Responsible Adult) - Registrants must cancel one week (5 business days) prior to the course/class start date in order to receive a refund. The original receipt must be provided at the time of refund.