Sharing Stories, Celebrating Diversity: Books as Mirrors and Windows
Date Jan 11, 2022 | Time 6:30pm - 8:30pm
This workshop looks at multi-language and diverse children’s books and activities, complemented with strategies on how literacy concepts can be extended to invite children to learn language, culture and acceptance of differences. Resources shared will allow children and their caregivers to explore concepts in a way that strengthen their emergent literacy skills while celebrating diverse cultures, creeds, abilities and genders. Participants will receive recommendations for books that are inclusive, cultivate compassion, awareness, and a broader world-view. This workshop is designed for those working with infants, toddlers and preschool children.
Presenter: Nancy Tovell has a wide range of experience in facilitating workshops with a focus on sharing strategies, tools and resources to support those working with families and young children. She is the Program Coordinator at Bookmates, a Manitoba based not-for-profit with a mission to develop and deliver early years programs and training to build and support the foundations of literacy and learning.
Cost: CCRR Member $10.00, Non-Member $15.00
- Training certificates will be issued via email within 5 business days of the workshop attended. To receive a certificate, you must arrive on time, participate, stay for the entire session and have video on. If you have not received your certificate after 5 business days, please call us. If you require a copy of your certificate after 30 days of the workshop you will incur a 10-dollar charge.
- Late arrivals of more than 15 minutes will not be admitted to workshops.
- Children - Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate children during a workshop. Please make alternate arrangements.
- Registration - Prepayment is required for all workshops. Credit card payment can be taken over the phone.
- Methods of payment - Visa or MasterCard or Debit
- Workshop cancellations (regular workshops) - Registrants can cancel up until two full business days prior to the scheduled workshop date. Cancellations received before the deadline will be given a workshop credit (not a refund) to be used towards future workshops at Abbotsford CCRR. Workshop credits are valid for one year from the date of the cancelled workshop. Due to unforeseen circumstances, workshops may be subject to change or cancellation, in this case we would issue a refund.
- Course cancellations (First Aid and Responsible Adult) - Registrants must cancel one week (5 business days) prior to the course/class start date in order to receive a refund. The original receipt must be provided at the time of refund.